Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The "Now Playing" Feature

Notice the "Now Playing" widget in the right sidebar? Just goes to show the awesome things you can do in Python in one evening. It's basically a Rhythmbox plugin that sends information about the currently playing song over HTTP. A small PHP script takes that and writes a simple Javascript file that just does a document.write() which is then included in the sidebar. Awesome! :-) I still have a few improvements to make (like add a configuration window, write my own asynchronous URL loader so I can POST the information etc.) and I will put it on the Third Party Rhythmbox plugins page. Here's how it looks like, in case you pass by at a time when I'm not listening to anything (probably sleeping or at school... or both):

No comments:

Post a Comment