Thursday, September 3, 2009

Folding@Home on Ubuntu Server

I recently started folding @ home on my Jaunty-based server (which runs 24/7 with not so much activity). What I have noticed is that they do not provide a proper init.d script for it. This is the default one they tell you to use: # chkconfig: 345 93 14 # description: will start FAH client as a service cd /path/to/folding ./fah6 -verbosity 9 < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 & This doesn't seem to work for me, the process does not start. What I've found to work is this: ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: fah # Required-Start: $local_fs $network $named # Required-Stop: $local_fs $network $named # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start Folding@Home client ### END INIT INFO # chkconfig: 345 93 14 # description: will start FAH client as a service cd /home/felix/fah/ ./fah6 -verbosity 9 < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 & There you go. Now you have no reason to not run this :) Edit: No, it doesn't work. It seems init starts the script twice, which messes things up. I think this has something to do with runlevels, but I'm too tired to figure it out now. If anyone knows a solution, please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment