Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Playing with HMTL5 Drag & Drop

I'm just toying around with HTML5-related things, to prepare myself so I don't get smacked in the head when it starts rolling out. The most interesting feature, in my opinion, is support for Drag & Drop. What I find most interesting about this feature is being able to drag & drop files from your desktop / file browser into a webpage. Unfortunately, we are unable to upload files this way just yet (well, it's available in Firefox 3.6 Alpha, so yeah). Anyway, if you have a decent Firefox version (I have 3.5.2 on Ubuntu), you can toy around with this demo app. I built it so I can observe the different event attributes when dropping things in the gray box. This is the first step towards my goal of a fully transparent drag & drop file upload. I guess I just hate those file inputs. Also, don't forget to look at the source. It's pretty small and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment